Divorce Lawyer Assisting in the Asset Division
The division of marital or partnership assets and debt is an important aspect of the¬†dissolution of a marriage¬†or same-sex union. If property division is left to be decided by a family court judge, he or she will seek to make an ‚Äúequitable distribution‚ÄĚ of the assets and debt. However, ‚Äúequitable‚ÄĚ does not mean equal. Some of the factors that the family court will consider include:
- The length of the relationship
- Whether either party has significant non-marital assets (including assets excluded from the marital estate by a premarital agreement)
- The age, health, and income of the two parties
- Whether one party contributed to the increased earning potential of the other
- The standard of living of the parties during the relationship
- The tax consequences of any award
- Whether either party will be serving as the primary custodial parent of any minor children
Divorce lawyer¬†Rosalyn Charles¬†helps clients throughout the state with negotiating fair and reasonable property settlement agreements that protect their financial stability. When negotiation is not successful, our firm vigorously represents your interests in court.
For more than 20 years, Rosalyn has been providing sensitive and effective legal counsel in the dissolution of familial relationships. To learn more about how our firm can help you with the division of marital assets, call¬†973-732 -0964¬†or¬†contact¬†the law office online to schedule an initial consultation. Our divorce lawyer is prepared to ease your concerns and resolve your ongoing asset division issues.